Evy & Glen Arthur George HYDE

Posted in Categories / Groups:

Evy & Glen Arthur George HYDE.

Headstone READS –

In Sad But

Loving Memory


Little Evy (of Baree)

Daughter of G. & E. HYDE

Who Died Nov. 25th 1911

Aged 8 years & 8 months

Safe in the arms of Jesus

We Think of Thee in Silence

No Eyes Can See Us Weep

And Many a Silent Tear We Shed

While Others Are Asleep

Inserted by Her Loving Parents

Brother & Sisters

Also of Our Only Son & Brother

Glen Arthur George

Who Was Accidently Killed at Moonmera

On August 25th 1912

Aged 18 years & 4 months

Deeply Mourned.

Morning Bulletin, Rockhampton, Qld. Tue 5 Dec 1911. P1

HYDE.—At the General Hospital, Mount Morgan, on November 25th, 1911, Evie Vera, aged 8 years and 8 months, youngest daughter of George and Ellen Hyde, Baree.

The Telegraph, Brisbane, Qld. Thu 5 Sep 1912. P5

Fall of 200 feet

Shocking Fatal Accident

A Youth, named George Hyde, 18 years of age, met his death in a shocking manner at Moonmera on Sunday, says the Mount Morgan “Chronicle,” of 30th August. Hyde, who resided at Baree, at about half past 8 o’clock on Sunday morning went out to the Moonmera caves on a shooting expedition. He had been preceded by three mates, Arthur Heath, Richard Long, and John Heath. At about a quarter past 1 o’clock Hyde was standing on the highest peak at the caves, and he called out to his friends, who were below, that he would soon be with them. At the time he was standing on a projecting rock about 200 feet above his mates. A few moments afterwards those below heard him call out that he could see a wallaby, and that he was going to throw a stone so that he could get a better shot at it. At that moment the rock on which he was standing, gave way and he fell about 100 feet and struck a ledge or rock. His body then bounced down the precipitous slope until it came to within about six yards of where his companions were standing. His friends immediately rushed up to him, but they found that he was already dead. Death must have been instantaneous when he struck the ledge. His neck was broken, and his skull and face frightfully smashed.

The police were informed of the accident and Constable W. Warfield at once went out to the caves, and with willing assistance from others he managed to get the body down the dangerous incline to the railway station at Moonmera. The railway ganger there brought up his trolly and the body was placed upon it and pushed up the Razorback, Mount Morgan being reached at about half past 6 o’clock. The body was taken to the hospital morgue. Hyde was a platelayer at the Mount Morgan mine. He was a strapping young fellow, and was a great favourite amongst his acquaintances. He was the only son in a family of six. His father is a lengthsman, and has resided at Baree with his family for the last ten years.

aligil - avatar
About the author: aligil Admin Icon

I have been researching for a little over 30 years & have written a few books on my direct families. This is what I wrote in the forward of my first book, back in 2002.
I can’t say exactly why I have been so drawn to the hobby of genealogy. I think the interest has been there since I was a teenager. I can remember purchasing a small book on the subject, when I was about 16. I read it, didn’t quite understand most of it, put it away, raised my children and when they were older I purchased my own birth certificate. That was the beginning of an obsession. It was a rather slow process back then and never in my wildest dreams did I think it would go this far. I wrote countless letters to everyone and anyone and if the postie didn’t deliver some news on a weekly basis, I would almost go into depression. These days, with the help of a computer and that wonderful resource, the Internet, information is at one’s fingertips.

Get involved!


No comments yet